BI Commercial Interior
- To apply for a building permit you will need to submit a completed Commercial Interior building permit application to the Town of Herndon. Town staff will then assign the job a permit number and complete a transmittal form. You will be responsible for taking the application, transmittal form, and three sets of complete plans to the Fairfax county Fire Marshal for review. If applicable you will need to obtain Health Department review as well. If Health Department review is required four sets of plans will need to submitted. Please see the Tenant Layout Requirements to ensure all plan requirements are met prior to submitting.
The minimum permit fee for interior alterations is $483.00. Additional charges are calculated by multiplying the estimated construction cost by 3.22%. All permits are also charged a 2% levy fee required by the State. Fee's are collected once the permit has been approved. For additional information please see our fee schedule's listed below.
- If you are repairing, replacing, or installing electrical, mechanical, or plumbing fixtures please visit our Trade Permit Page for additional information.
- If you have submittals (that are not revisions) for the plan reviewer once the permit has been issued, please use the submittal form and attach to the documents you are submitting.
- Systems furniture and interior demolition permits do NOT require Fire Marshal review.
- Plan revisions are charged $40.00 per sheet not to exceed $300.00. To submit a permit revision three copies of the revised plan must be submitted with a completed Revision Form. Revisions can take 5-10 business days.
- Commercial interior construction permits take 5 to 10 business days for approval. This does not include time for review required by other jurisdictions, town departments, revisions or information the inspector requests to complete his approval. Staff notifies the submitter as soon as the permit has been approved and is ready for pick up.
- A certificate of occupancy will be issued once the building final inspection has been approved. Please call our office to ensure the certificate is ready prior to making the trip to pick it up.
BI Inspection Information
Inspections must be scheduled the business day before you would like the inspector to visit and between the hours of 8:00am - 4:30pm. Inspections are done during two time blocks: AM= 8:00am-12:00pm and PM= 1:00pm - 4:00pm. The following information is required to schedule an inspections:
- Permit Number
- Contractor Name
- Job Address
- Type of Inspection
- Contact telephone number
General Inspection Rules and Requirements:
- Inspection requests can only be scheduled by the permit holder
- Written permission must be on file with our office to allow general contractors to schedule inspections for their subs
- Inspection cancelations must be received no later that 9:00am
- A reinspection fee of $72 will be due if the schedule inspection does not meet code requirements or for failure to properly cancel your inspection
- Approved plans shall remain on site at all times
- The inspector will only visit a job site once a day
A certificate of occupancy will be issued for commercial work, or a new residential dwelling once the building final has been approved.
After hours inspection can be requested. Inspection requests must be submitted in writing at least three days before the inspection. Requires must include date and time of inspection, location, contact information,onsite representative, and duration of inspection. Please contact our office the day prior to the inspection to confirm time and to obtain the inspectors contract information. After hours inspections are scheduled at a rate of $100 per hour with a four hour minimum.