Herndon Police Department recognizes the value of certain skills police candidates can bring to the department. Advance pay steps are given to newly hired Police Officer 1 candidates who meet the below criteria.
- A 5% increase above starting salary is given to honorably discharged veterans who have fulfilled their initial commitment.
- A 5% increase above starting salary is given for those who have the ability to fluently speak, read and write a language other than English. Fluency may be tested at town’s discretion.
- A 2.5% increase above starting salary is given to those who possess a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution.
Law enforcement experience
- An increase of 2.5% is given for each year of police experience for Virginia certified officers
- A 1% pay increase is given for each year of certified police experience from other states.
The combined advanced steps will not exceed 25% above the minimum starting salary of a Police Officer 1.
Vacancies for sworn positions are posted on the town's Human Resources Jobs page.