Working for the Town of Herndon allows you make a difference in your local community. Together as one team, we plan, build, learn, maintain, keep safe and influence our great town for current and future generations. We offer a work environment with excellent work-life balance, great benefits, community involvement, and the chance to work with smart, dedicated people.
To apply: Click "Apply Now" on the page of the job for which you're interested to complete the electronic application. You will have the option to upload your resume and cover page. For positions with closing dates, applications must be received in the Department of Human Resources by 5 pm of the closing date. Positions are open until filled if no closing date is listed.
The Town of Herndon is an EEO employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, genetic predisposition/carrier status or disability.
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$48,544 - 73,644 depending on qualifications
- Posted Date:09/12/2017
Under general supervision of the Senior Civil Engineer, performs construction management duties, construction inspection and quality assurance on public works and development projects related to general improvements to public right-of-ways. Ensure compliance with State and Town standards, codes, designs and specifications.
Employees in this classification perform responsible technical work. The person in this position is responsible for inspecting developer and town construction projects; storm water facilities in town, planning, and surveying; reviewing site plans and building permits and maintaining all project inspection documentation and records. Performs related work as required.
- Inspects public works and developers construction projects. This entails assuring contractor’s work conforms to the project specifications and is accomplished by inspecting the contractor’s work on a daily basis; by keeping a daily record of instructions and directions given to the contractor regarding plan and specification interpretation and any required change orders; coordinating with an independent testing lab any materials testing required by project specifications; by verifying quantities for payment on contractor’s pay request; by coordinating construction activities with residents, utility companies and other agencies by providing for public safety during the project
- Inspects and performs oversight on the installation of water lines, sanitary sewers and storm drains in compliance with the state and town standards and specifications; inspects grading, backfill, asphalt and concrete placement and erosion and sediment control. Conducts construction site inspections for compliance with site SWPPP and Town’s Storm Water Management Ordinance
- Inspects and performs oversight on other agencies, utility companies and contractors working within Town boundaries and Town right-of-way to ensure public safety and ensure protection of Town facilities; reviews and approves traffic control plans and coordinates road closures with the Town Shop and other Town’s departments to maintain traffic flow
- Reviews permits and inspects all road cuts within Town boundaries (whether for water, gas, sewer, telephone, etc.). Supervises third party inspection of trench backfill, sub-grade and aggregate base course for grade, compaction, moisture, and preparation for paving
- Inspects all town outfalls and BMPs in town in conformance with the State regulations and Town’s Storm Water Management Ordinance
- Responds to and resolves public inquiries and complaints related to public works construction projects and private developments. Answers technical questions and provides information to public and other agencies.
Inspects all aspects of subdivision construction and development; performs final inspection and acceptance or work and approves bond reductions and releases. Prepares photos, daily construction reports, and reviews third-party inspection reports
- Attends and participates in preconstruction meetings with department staff, engineers, contractors, developers and other organizations. Coordinates and conducts progress meetings with contractors, department staff and other agencies. Responds to questions from contractors on town and state specifications; coordinates work with contractors, department staff and other agencies
- Assists engineering staff with surveying, drafting, specifications and bidding documents; reviews plans prior to final department approval. Reviews site plan revisions, as-builts and plats
- Prepares graphics and CAD drawings
- Assists engineering staff with infrastructure inventories and maintenance of records
- Performs related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Considerable knowledge of public works construction management, inspection, methods and materials; knowledge of construction and pay estimates; working knowledge of methods and interpretation of soil analysis, materials, compaction and density tests; working knowledge of surveying and surveying methods; working knowledge of drafting and engineering
- Requires the ability to apply principles of persuasion and/or influence Ability to read and interpret plans and specifications; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, contractors, other departments and the public; ability to follow written and oral instructions; ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to interpret and utilize a variety of advisory data and information, such as Public Facilities Manual, Road and Bridge Standards, Virginia Erosion and Sediment Control Field Manual, computer software and Town Code
- Ability to perform mathematical operations involving basic algebraic principles and formulas, and basic geometric principles and calculations
- Ability to apply principles of rational systems. Ability to interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic, or schedule form
- Ability to exercise independent judgment to adopt or modify methods and standards to meet variations in assigned objectives
- Ability to exercise the judgment, decisiveness and creativity required in situations involving evaluation of information against measurable or verifiable criteria
- Associates degree or 2+ years college with applicable course work preferred, emphasis in engineering Equivalent years of experience in applicable work acceptable
- Three or more years of experience and/or training that includes general construction and surveyingMust obtain Virginia Erosion and Sediment Control Inspector Certification and Virginia Stormwater Management Inspector Certification within one year of hire date
- Must possess confined space entry and OSHA safety and health training
- Must possess an Advanced Work Zone Traffic Control certificate within one year of date of hire
- Must possess a Field Placement of Asphalt and Field Placement of Concrete certificates within one year of date of hire
- Must possess a valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record.
- Monday - Friday, 8:00 am. to 5:00 pm
- Herndon Municipal Center, 777 Lynn Street