Working for the Town of Herndon allows you make a difference in your local community. Together as one team, we plan, build, learn, maintain, keep safe and influence our great town for current and future generations. We offer a work environment with excellent work-life balance, great benefits, community involvement, and the chance to work with smart, dedicated people.
To apply: Click "Apply Now" on the page of the job for which you're interested to complete the electronic application. You will have the option to upload your resume and cover page. For positions with closing dates, applications must be received in the Department of Human Resources by 5 pm of the closing date. Positions are open until filled if no closing date is listed.
The Town of Herndon is an EEO employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, genetic predisposition/carrier status or disability.
Police Officer I
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$52,738 + depending on qualifications
- Posted Date:08/09/2017
- Patrols areas of the town; prevents and discovers commission of crime; apprehends criminals and offenders; enforces traffic laws
- responds to calls for service and complaints from citizens involving accidents, misdemeanors and felonies
- conducts accident and criminal investigation; gathers evidence; interviews suspects and witnesses; writes reports; makes arrests as required; renders credible information as witness in court and other related police duties.
- Must be a U.S. citizen and 21 years of age at date of appointment; high school diploma or equivalent
- must possess valid Virginia driver’s license with a good record upon hire
- must be able to communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing; be of character and reputation to pass extensive background investigation
- Current Virginia law enforcement officer certification preferred
- Bi-lingual in Spanish desirable
Must be willing to sign a condition of employment agreement which precludes smoking on or off duty.
- Varies, 80 hours per two week pay period
- Written examination, initial interview, physical agility test, background investigation, polygraph, psychological evaluation, and oral board. The polygraph will cover the following areas: illegal drug use, undetected crime, and other areas regarding personal history
REAPPLICATION: If not appointed, you are eligible to reapply one year after initial test date.
- Herndon Police Station, 397 Herndon Parkway