Working for the Town of Herndon allows you make a difference in your local community. Together as one team, we plan, build, learn, maintain, keep safe and influence our great town for current and future generations. We offer a work environment with excellent work-life balance, great benefits, community involvement, and the chance to work with smart, dedicated people.
To apply: Click "Apply Now" on the page of the job for which you're interested to complete the electronic application. You will have the option to upload your resume and cover page. For positions with closing dates, applications must be received in the Department of Human Resources by 5 pm of the closing date. Positions are open until filled if no closing date is listed.
The Town of Herndon is an EEO employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, genetic predisposition/carrier status or disability.
Communications Section Manager
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$55,943 - $95,920 depending on qualifications
- Posted Date:01/20/2017
- Under the supervision of the Assistant Support Commander, the purpose of the position is to oversee continuity of communications operations, and to supervise assigned employees
- Manages and directs the 24-hour Emergency Communications Center including radio/telephone, 9-1-1 and digital recording systems
- Develops, implements, reviews, updates and recommends policy and procedures and promulgates rules and regulations for the Communications Center and security systems
- Supervises assigned personnel and ensures all personnel complete mandated training
- Responsible for providing and maintaining the various technical systems needed by officers and staff in the performance of their duties; preparing and managing the section budget; assisting IT with purchasing and maintaining computer hardware and software; and preparing a variety of records and reports
- Performs other related work as required.
- Must have a minimum of three years supervisory experience in a public safety dispatch environment
- Supplemented by five (5) years previous experience in law enforcement communications or a related field
- Must be a United States citizen or have been a lawful resident of the United States for the past 10 consecutive years
- Possession of a valid driver's license
- Possession of or ability to obtain, VCIN/NCIC Certification Completion of, or ability to complete, Basic Telecommunications School
- Completion of an Associate or Bachelor’s Degree is preferred
- Monday - Friday, requires on call availability as well as occasional night and weekend availability, and is considered an essential employee for purposes for emergency events
- Herndon Police Department, 397 Herndon Parkway